St Columba’s is a Catholic school with Christ’s teachings of love, peace and justice at the heart of all we do.
We aim to:
- Teach the Catholic Faith and inspire a knowledge and love of God: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Encourage the children’s response to the faith and make prayer, worship and liturgy real educational experiences.
- Create a happy caring and stimulating environment in which all members of the school community can give their best and reach their full potential.
- Provide a broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum, which will contribute successfully to the development of the ‘whole’ child.
- Foster a dynamic relationship between home, school, and parish, and build links with the wider community.
To achieve these aims, the school will:
- Promote and develop active participation in prayer, worship and liturgy.
- Implement appropriate programmes of study and methods of assessment.
- Foster positive relationships built on trust and openness.
- Encourage co-operation and teamwork.
- Develop child-centred methods of teaching and learning.
- Organise effective structures of pastoral care.
- Value and develop the gifts of each member of the community, irrespective of his or her achievement.
The government has set out its definition of British Values as:
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of Those of Different Faiths and Beliefs
Through our RE, PSHE Geography and our topic based curriculum (using Cornerstones) we are able to make real links between the values of our pupils and the lives of others in their community, country and the world in general. We teach explicit modules about democracy, civic responsibility, rules and laws, the monarchy, equality, values and virtues, environmental awareness and understanding of other faiths etc.
As a Catholic School we actively promote values, virtues and ethics that shape our pupils' character and moral perspective, through the teachings of the Church. We are confident that our continued focus on the Gospel Values will give our pupils the necessary awareness of what it means to be a good citizen in Britain today, and embed in them the building blocks of a future successful and productive life.
Following the example of Jesus and trusting God we share the Gospel Values (What Jesus said and what he told us to do)
The Beatitudes inspire us to follow in the steps of Jesus
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven
Values: Faithfulness & Integrity
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted
Values: Dignity & Compassion
- Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth
Values: Humility & Gentleness
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied
Values: Truth & Justice
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy
Values: Forgiveness & Mercy
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God
Values: Purity & Holiness
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God
Values: Tolerance & Peace
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of slander against you because of me. Be glad and rejoice for your reward is great in heaven; they persecuted the prophets before you in the very same way
Values: Service & Sacrifice
Here are some examples for children:
I am following Jesus' example of LOVE when I show SELF-CONTROL, PATIENCE, TOLERANCE and EMPATHY by
- Speaking and acting calmly and kindly
- Listening carefully
- Participating prayerfully during liturgy, prayer and while celebrating Mass
- Playing games fairly
- Being patient with other people
- Being aware of the feelings and needs of others
- Making right choices
- Knowing how the decisions I make will affect those around me
- Taking responsibility for my wrong choices
- Forgiving ourselves and others for mistakes
I am following Jesus' example of LOVE when I show UNITY, KINDNESS, COMPASSION, SERVICE and Sacrifice by
- Learning and playing with others peacefully, cooperatively and inclusively
- Working co-cooperatively with others, joining in and doing my part
- Using words of encouragement and kindness
- Including others, respecting all cultural traditions
- Being aware of others' needs and generously taking action to make a difference
- Joining in and celebrating faithfully and prayerfully
- Sharing my skills for the good of others/Volunteering
- Being willing to give away things
- Making a gift of your time for others
- Showing forgiveness to others
- Trying not to moan and complain about unimportant things
I am following Jesus' example of LOVE when I show PERSEVERANCE, HOPE, COMMITMENT and EXCELLENCE by
- Living and acting with faith, and trusting that things will turn out for the best
- Learning with hope, focusing my attention fully on my learning, and completing what I start
- Setting goals and working hard to reach them even when it is hard
- Continually striving to be the best I can be
- Being open to God's love and sharing it with others
- Helping others feel hope by supporting them
- Asking for help when I'm not sure
- Being willing to accept challenges in all aspects of my life
- Never settling for just doing my best…I will try even harder!
- Waiting to take my turn
I am following Jesus' example of LOVE when I show ENTHUSIASM, HOPE, PASSION, CREATIVITY, and DETERMINATION by
- Being joyful and excited about my learning
- Exploring the things I love so that I can share them with others
- Never giving up no matter how hard it gets
- Developing and extending my special God given gifts and talents, in creative ways
- Appreciating the creativity of others
- Being an excited follower and participant in our faith
- Having dreams about your future and aspiring to reach them!
I am following Jesus' example of LOVE when I show RESPECT, EQUALITY, FORGIVENESS, HONESTY, CHARITY, JUSTICE and PEACE by
- Treating others as I want to be treated
- Acting politely
- Always tell the truth even when it is hard to do so
- Standing up for what is right and just
- Being open, trustworthy, truthful and honest
- Asking for forgiveness and sincerely apologising
- Showing stewardship by caring for our environment
- Being a Peacemaker in everything I do
- Avoiding conflict by finding better resolutions
- Sharing my material things and my time with others
- Appreciating the things that make each of “in the image and likeness of God”
- Celebrating the differences between each other
I am following Jesus' example of LOVE when I show humility, gentleness, faithfulness and integrity by
- Recognise that everyone has different strengths, and that these are gifts from God
- Acknowledge my failings and need of God’s help and forgiveness
- Apologise to others, accept advice, and receive compliments graciously.
- Be a good sport!
- Always be a team player
- Be committed to your friends, family and your faith
- Doing the right thing…even if no one sees you doing it!
- Showing care and kindness to everyone you meet
- Sharing your successes and being thankful to those who helped you get there