Year Three 2020-21
Class Teacher- Mrs Simmons/ Mrs Yarnold
Teaching Assistant- Miss Gittings
SUMMETR TERM 2021
Year 3 are a hardworking, enthusiastic and motivated class who love learning and working together!
Hello and welcome to Year 3. We are so delighted to welcome you all back into school after the Easter break. It's lovely to see you all back in school looking smart, so ready and eager to learn. We know you have all really enjoyed seeing your friends again too. We are very proud of you all for coming back to school so sensibly.
Please remember to follow the new rules in school - sticking to our family bubble - and try to adhere to the social distancing measures that we have talked about.
We hope to have the BEST term!
Mrs Simmons, Mrs Yarnold and Miss Gittings
Below is some information on what we will be covering this term in each subject area:
The class text this term is ‘The Sheep-Pig’ which is a book written by Dick King-Smith. The children will use this text to form the basis of most of our English lessons.
- They will be looking at using ambitious vocabulary and will magpie words from the class text to use in their own writing including diary entries, reports and planning their own narrative writing .
- The children will continue to use thesaurus' to up level our vocabulary.
- They will complete a piece of extended writing fortnightly and will learn how to edit and improve their writing.
This term's word of the day (five words weekly)
In Maths this term the children will be focusing
- multiplication and division to begin with building on the work from the end of the Spring term
- measurement units learning about time, length ,perimeter, capacity and shape
- continue to work on our times tables and being able to recall facts up to 12 x 12
- looking at addition and subtraction, multiplication tables, number bonds knowledge and improving our mental maths fluency.
- ‘Forces and Magnets’. The children will look at what makes a magnet work, begin to understand forces and investigate magnetic and non magnetic materials.
- ‘Light’ including The speed of light, shadows, transparent and opaque objects, reflection, mirrors: plane, concave, convex, the human eye
- Henry Vlll
- Tudor Monarchs – Edward Vl, Mary l and Elizabeth l.
- Asia (Ancient India, Ancient China and Japan.)
- Architecture and modern architecture.
- The musical scale - C Major Scale.
- Beethoven and Vivaldi
This term we will be covering the units of
- Listening to God’s Word at mass
- The children will learn the importance of Easter and Pentecost, about different types of prayers and how God is always there to love, forgive and guide us. The children will deepen their understanding of Mass and why this is such a significant and sacred time for them. The children will have class prayer services every Tuesday afternoon in class and join the live streamed mass from St Chad’s Cathedral on a Thursday morning.
- Healthy me
- Celebrating differences
The children will be having PE on a Wednesday
- invasion games
- racket games
- You can come to school in your PE clothes on a Wednesday. This should include a yellow polo t-shirt, blue shorts and a pair of pumps/trainers (black). Jogging trousers will be allowed in cold weather for lessons outside. Please note that jewellery is not allowed for safety reasons.
Parents are encouraged to phone the school to speak to the class teacher rather than place a message on Class Dojo as there will be at least a 24 hour turnaround for a response. Thank you.
Black History Month.
Year 3 have been learning about and researching the life of Rosa Parks. Rosa was an incredible lady who fought for equal rights between black and white people. The children wrote wonderful reports about her life.